Agar Grieveson built the locker plant for
frozen meats. Joseph, Toney and Silas Hulbert helped install 600
lockers, which rented for $10 to $20 per year.
Troop 139 was dropped from the Boy Scout
council in the mid-1940's because, with an enrollment of approximately
130 scouts, it was considered too large. The Council wanted the troop
broken into three or four smaller troops. When the Boys Clubs of America
solicited Ainsworth Bennett to join their club, he agreed.
Boardman's Ice Cream Store opened on South
Main Street. The juke box made it a popular place for teenagers to
The Boys Club continued to be very active and successful. Approximately
two years after they were dropped from the Council, the Boy Scouts were
invited to return.
Ike George's Confectionery Store was opened on the east side of South
Main Street in the former Hessney building.
Joseph Frederick built a service station on
the west end of State Street, across from Corino's, which he operated
until 1953. He then went to work for Geo. Mc Gurk. His brother Mike and
Ray Dailey operated the station until 1955 when they moved away. Joe
resumed operation until 1957. Joe let the village use this garage to
house fire equipment for several years, free of charge, and later sold
it to the village.
The movie theater was closed due to high
film costs and poor attendance. Market Basket Groceries was opened in
the former theater by Gordon Hover. Later P & B Market, owned by Phil &
Ben D'Arduini, was located here.
Gordon Crowell joined his father's business
and the firm became R. B. Crowell & Son, Inc.
John Twenty-Five built a restaurant on South Main Street. His son, John
Jr. (Butch), worked with him.
A new Methodist Church was built on State Street by Homer Galbraith,
John & Harold Potter, Bunny Bement, and other local carpenters. The cost
The Reverend Winifred Mc Comb served this church from 1944 to 1951. She
led and inspired the congregation to build this beautiful and modern
church. Members of the church engaged in a variety of fund-raising
projects. They served meals daily in the basement of the church while it
was being constructed.
Joseph & Sam Abbott started a trucking business. The brothers hauled for
Walter Allen's canning factory and other local industries. They
harvested and hauled 600 acres of sweet corn and 600 acres of tomatoes
each year. Sam said tomatoes were the worst because you would have to
spray them 6 times during the growing season. During cabbage season,
they would have 40 tons of cabbage waiting at the scale at 7AM. They
also were the first in the area to operate a bean picker.
Gary Pappert. made his f irst trip to
Little Brown Tract.
Donald Tobin & R. C. Waterman purchased Manchester Foods f rom the
Empire State Pickling Company. Walter Allen was in charge of the f
actory which was formerly owned by his f ather, Fred Allen. During the
harvest, 130 people were employed canning spinach, peas, sour cherries,
beans, corn, beets, and cabbage. They were one of the first companies to
can apple juice.
Walter Hayward built a stucco building on
the east side of Main Street and opened a liquor store, managed by
Milham Hayward, his son.
Agar Grieveson sold his dairy to Harry Schlecht.
Residents of Manchester and Shortsville voted to centralize the school
district. The vote passed 709 to 232.
Water meters were installed in businesses.
A village library started in the bandstand and-later moved to Hawkes
Joe and Sam Abbott purchased the 160 acre Massecar farm on Route 21,
just north of the village limits.
Manchester & Shortsville Schools
1951 - Route 96 was built through Record's farm, Massecar farm
and Pratt's Woods, bypassing the village.
The Liberty brothers, Francesco (Gino) and
John, opened a hardware store on Main Street at the site of George
Vincenzo Ceravolo and his son, Samuel bought the West End Restaurant. On
Saturday evenings, the Larry Burri Trio entertained.
Reginald Lush became Mayor of the Village.
The Veteran's of Foreign War Monument was built in Mill Hill Park in
front of the bandstand.
Agar Grieveson sold the locker plant to Jake Abbott with Jake cutting
meat and Eva Toney wrapping.
Joseph Abbott and his wife Cecile built
their home on Pratt Road using material from buildings demolished to
make room for the Thruway.
section of the NYS Thruway was opened with Exit #43 near the Village of
Walt Rice's Service Station opened on the east side of South Main Street
next to the Village Park.
Robert Tuttle purchased the Unique Garbage service from Walt Rice.
Leo Hessney turned the north side of his store into a saloon.
Mr. & Mrs. Frank DeClercq opened a hotel and restaurant on South Main
Street. Mrs. James Quinn and Mrs. Frank DeVelder were employees.
D. George (Hick) Record and John (Jake) Abbott purchased the dairy on
Center Street from Harry Schlecht. The next year, Jake sold his share to
Hick. He employed, Albert Pardington Jr., Harold Fish, and Anthony
Eighty three year old Steve Chunko was attacked by a bull. He recovered!
Girl Scouts started meeting in the Manchester Methodist Church.
- Joseph and Sam
Abbott built an 8 unit motel on the south east corner of Routes 21 & 96.
A coffee shop was included.
Mrs. John DelGotto purchased the Lehigh
Valley Restaurant from Pat Ricci. No evening out was complete without
breakfast at the "greasy spoon".
Francis Boardman became Mayor of the Village. Later, he moved to Albany
to take the position of State Director of the NYS Legislative Board,
United Transportation Union.
In the mid-1950's, the Scout camp deteriorated to the point that the
Scouts moved to the basement of the Methodist Church for a short while.
Then they moved to the old Fire House/Village Hall for at least 10
Pat Angeline started Angeline's Refrigeration in the building that was
owned by Emma Moon.
Joseph & Sam Abbott built a Gulf service station on the southeast corner
of Routes 21 & 96. This is the present location of J-Mart.
A playground was built on Clifton Street.
During summer vacation, the village sponsored a recreation program. Many
local children spent their day playing games, building clay molds, and
Walt Barry and Harlan Bliss started Barry
and Bliss Food Store. They were partners for approximately two years.
Harlan bought Walt out and continued the business.
Reginald Lush was elected Mayor for the
May 12, The "Black Diamond" made its last run on the Lehigh Valley
The Manchester Chamber of Commerce was organized. The first Chairman was
John Volpe, who was very involved in bringing new businesses into the
village. John was also the Village Postmaster.
Mary Ann Hessney Malark, daughter of Abbott
Hessney, started a women's apparel business in a small building on South
Main Street formerly Mike Delesio's Barber Shop. With several additions
this business has grown, drawing many customers from a wide geographic
On the weekend of Feb. 19-21, a blizzard hit the area closing the
Thruway both East & West of Manchester. Fire trucks escorted stranded
motorists off the road to the school, village hall, and Methodist
Church. Emergency canteens were set up to feed the people. Many
villagers entertained unexpected overnight guests. About 200 people
spent the night here.
Joe and Sam Abbott built the Steakout
Restaurant on the southwest corner of Routes 96 and 21.
Westplex was built on land, located on West
Avenue, donated by the Manchester Fire Company. John S. Volpe was very
instrumental in getting this business to locate in Manchester.
Hawkes Bakery was demolished and replaced with a service station owned
by the Atlantic Refining Co. The Village Mart is currently located on
The Railroad Ice House on Lehigh Avenue burned. It had not been used for
many years but before automatic refrigeration it was a vital necessity
for shipping fresh produce on the railroad. Ice was harvested from the
outlet and stored here.
Water meters were installed in village
Joe and Sam Abbott built a new, modern 40
unit motel on the north-east corner of Routes 96 and 21. this is now the
Rytown Millwork, Inc. was started by Donald
Ryan & James Townsend in the former Manchester Foods building.