Village Justice, Joe Volpe heard a record
808 cases: 770 traffic/vehicle; 27 criminal and 11 civil.
Shine's Cleaners was opened on Main Street by John Mitzewich. They
operated until 1988. The business was run by Monty (Shine) Cianfoni.
village population at this time was 1305.
July 1, - Yard jobs in Manchester were eliminated. The last yard engine
went on duty at 11:59 PM, June 30, with a crew of five. Engineer was
Barney Deal, Fireman was Jake Hessney, Fred "Soot" Record was yard
conductor, Earl Robinson and Joe Barry were yard brakemen. After that
all trains in Manchester were through trains with crews still being
changed here until 1972.
Friendly Village, a mobile home park for senior citizens, was opened.
The 1976 Woodall Guide rated Friendly Village "The highest rated mobile
home park in New York State".
Voters approved a bond issue to build a new
combined Village Hall and Fire Station on Clifton Street.
Boardman's Ice Cream Store closed after 26
Francesco (Gino) Liberty was Mayor from 1972-1981. He worked with
Shortsville to propose a joint sewer project for the two villages.
Bud's Polar Bar was opened in Bliss Plaza
and later moved to Shortsville.
Leo Hessney"s general store burned. This
store was opened by Abbott Hessney in 1901 and operated continuously for
73 years. This location is now the village parking lot.
A grant for $35,000 was obtained to develop
a family park across from Westplex. It contains play ground equipment
for all ages, horse shoe pits, tennis and basketball courts, and playing
areas. A summer recreation program for village children is now held at
Finger Lakes Wildwater Derby was started by Tim Record and the Twin
The end of the Lehigh Valley Railroad took
place at midnight April 1, 1976. The last two Lehigh trains passed
through the village on the evening of March 31. The last West bound
train, with Engineer Pat Pettrone of Manchester, passed through at 8 PM.
The last train through Manchester was an East bound train passing
through at 11 PM, with George Dressler, Engineer and Fred "Soot" Record
of Manchester as Road Fireman. Deferring to his local roots, Fireman
Record was allowed to operate the last Lehigh Valley train
Manchester. Conrail was formed to organize and revitalize the bankrupt
Tippy Tyler's building on the west side of North Main Street burned.
This building has been occupied by Ryan's Hardware, Gersbach's Appliance
Store, Claudia's Dress Shop, TV Repair and a restaurant.
The Manchester School building closed with the completion of the Red
Jacket Elementary School on the Route 21 campus behind the high school.
The Upstate Milk Cooperation purchased the Dairy Center of the Finger
Lakes and began operations in the former Record Dairy.
The village population increased to 1640.
Ike George's Confectionery store was closed after many years of serving
the residents in the community. The Double E Restaurant was started in
November by Eugene & Eloise Lester in the same location.
The A.M. Bennett Memorial Building was built on land donated by former
Scoutmaster George Record. Located across from the Village Hall, this
building currently provides meeting space for the Boy Scouts and storage
for the Manchester Health Center.
Phil D'Arduini was elected Mayor of Manchester. His father, Bernard
D'Arduini arrived here in 1911 at age 14. His cousin, Orazio Pizzicarlo,
age 11 came with him from Italy. They both worked for the LVRR.
A. B. Cowles of Victor, a printing company, purchased 13 acres of land
on North Main Street including the former Manchester school building.
They use this building as a printing shop.
The joint sewer plant began operation east of the village on route 96.
The Manchester Tree Commission was formed and a Village Tree ordinance
written. Arbor Day was celebrated by planting a tree in front of the
The village was recognized by the National Arbor Day Foundation as a
"Tree City USA."
The Manchester Village Post office was destroyed by fire. The
Shortsville Post Office helped out until a temporary trailer was
The construction of a new water tower for the village started on Lehigh
Avenue. The cost was estimated at $720,000 with the capacity of holding
500,000 gallons of water.
Johnnies' Restaurant opened in the former Lester Coffee Shop. It is now
Edward's Family Restaurant.
The village was divided while a new bridge was built over the
Canandaigua outlet on Clifton Street.
Freezing rains crippled the area. Many residents in the village lost
power for several days. Basements were flooded, trees were torn out by
the roots, and power lines snapped from the weight of the ice. Village
crews and the fire department, as well as all utility companies, worked
day and night to overcome this crisis.
1992 - Manchester is now primarily a residential area, with some
light industry. New residents move here to find moderate priced housing
in a pleasant setting. Families are close and neighbors help each other
in time of need. Each family admires and respects their ethnic
background, but the cultures have blended
to produce enthusiastic Americans.