Agar Grieveson built the locker plant for frozen meats. Joseph, Toney and Silas Hulbert helped install 600 lockers, which rented for $10 to $20 per year.
Troop 139 was dropped from the Boy Scout council in the mid-1940’s because, with an enrollment of approximately 130 scouts, it was considered too large. The Council wanted the troop broken into three or four smaller troops. When the Boys Clubs of America solicited Ainsworth Bennett to join their club, he agreed.
Boardman’s Ice Cream Store opened on South Main Street. The juke box made it a popular place for teenagers to gather.
The Boys Club continued to be very active and successful. Approximately two years after they were dropped from the Council, the Boy Scouts were invited to return.
Ike George’s Confectionery Store was opened on the east side of South Main Street in the former Hessney building.
Joseph Frederick built a service station on the west end of State Street, across from Corino’s, which he operated until 1953. He then went to work for Geo. Mc Gurk. His brother Mike and Ray Dailey operated the station until 1955 when they moved away. Joe resumed operation until 1957. Joe let the village use this garage to house fire equipment for several years, free of charge, and later sold it to the village.
The movie theater was closed due to high film costs and poor attendance. Market Basket Groceries was opened in the former theater by Gordon Hover. Later P & B Market, owned by Phil & Ben D’Arduini, was located here.
Gordon Crowell joined his father’s business and the firm became R. B. Crowell & Son, Inc.
John Twenty-Five built a restaurant on South Main Street. His son, John Jr. (Butch), worked with him.
A new Methodist Church was built on State Street by Homer Galbraith, John & Harold Potter, Bunny Bement, and other local carpenters. The cost was $55,000.
The Reverend Winifred Mc Comb served this church from 1944 to 1951. She led and inspired the congregation to build this beautiful and modern church. Members of the church engaged in a variety of fund-raising projects. They served meals daily in the basement of the church while it was being constructed.
Joseph & Sam Abbott started a trucking business. The brothers hauled for Walter Allen’s canning factory and other local industries. They harvested and hauled 600 acres of sweet corn and 600 acres of tomatoes each year. Sam said tomatoes were the worst because you would have to spray them 6 times during the growing season. During cabbage season, they would have 40 tons of cabbage waiting at the scale at 7AM. They also were the first in the area to operate a bean picker.
Gary Pappert. made his first trip to Little Brown Tract.
Donald Tobin & R. C. Waterman purchased Manchester Foods from the Empire State Pickling Company. Walter Allen was in charge of the factory which was formerly owned by his father, Fred Allen. During the harvest, 130 people were employed canning spinach, peas, sour cherries, beans, corn, beets, and cabbage. They were one of the first companies to can apple juice.
Walter Hayward built a stucco building on the east side of Main Street and opened a liquor store, managed by Milham Hayward, his son.
Agar Grieveson sold his dairy to Harry Schlecht.
Residents of Manchester and Shortsville voted to centralize the school district. The vote passed 709 to 232.
Water meters were installed in businesses.
A village library started in the bandstand and-later moved to Hawkes Bakery.
Joe and Sam Abbott purchased the 160 acre Massecar farm on Route 21, just north of the village limits.
Manchester & Shortsville Schools centralized.
Route 96 was built through Record’s farm, Massecar farm and Pratt’s Woods, bypassing the village.
The Liberty brothers, Francesco (Gino) and John, opened a hardware store on Main Street at the site of George McGurk’s garage.
Vincenzo Ceravolo and his son, Samuel bought the West End Restaurant. On Saturday evenings, the Larry Burri Trio entertained.
Reginald Lush became Mayor of the Village.
The Veteran’s of Foreign War Monument was built in Mill Hill Park in front of the bandstand.
Agar Grieveson sold the locker plant to Jake Abbott with Jake cutting meat and Eva Toney wrapping.
Joseph Abbott and his wife Cecile built their home on Pratt Road using material from buildings demolished to make room for the Thruway. A section of the NYS Thruway was opened with Exit #43 near the Village of Manchester.
Walt Rice’s Service Station opened on the east side of South Main Street next to the Village Park.
Robert Tuttle purchased the Unique Garbage service from Walt Rice.
Leo Hessney turned the north side of his store into a saloon.
Mr. & Mrs. Frank DeClercq opened a hotel and restaurant on South Main Street. Mrs. James Quinn and Mrs. Frank DeVelder were employees.
D. George (Hick) Record and John (Jake) Abbott purchased the dairy on Center Street from Harry Schlecht. The next year, Jake sold his share to Hick. He employed, Albert Pardington Jr., Harold Fish, and Anthony Horosko.
Eighty three year old Steve Chunko was attacked by a bull. He recovered!
Girl Scouts started meeting in the Manchester Methodist Church.
Joseph and Sam Abbott built an 8 unit motel on the south east corner of Routes 21 & 96. A coffee shop was included
Mrs. John DelGotto purchased the Lehigh Valley Restaurant from Pat Ricci. No evening out was complete without breakfast at the “greasy spoon”.
Francis Boardman became Mayor of the Village. Later, he moved to Albany to take the position of State Director of the NYS Legislative Board, United Transportation Union.
In the mid-1950’s, the Scout camp deteriorated to the point that the Scouts moved to the basement of the Methodist Church for a short while. Then they moved to the old Fire House/Village Hall for at least 10 years.
Pat Angeline started Angeline’s Refrigeration in the building that was owned by Emma Moon.
Joseph & Sam Abbott built a Gulf service station on the southeast corner of Routes 21 & 96. This is the present location of J-Mart.
A playground was built on Clifton Street. During summer vacation, the village sponsored a recreation program. Many local children spent their day playing games, building clay molds, and stringing boon-doggle. 1957 Walt Barry and Harlan Bliss started Barry and Bliss Food Store. They were partners for approximately two years. Harlan bought Walt out and continued the business.
Reginald Lush was elected Mayor for the second time.
May 12, The “Black Diamond” made its last run on the Lehigh Valley Railroad.
The Manchester Chamber of Commerce was organized. The first Chairman was John Volpe, who was very involved in bringing new businesses into the village. John was also the Village Postmaster.
Mary Ann Hessney Malark, daughter of Abbott Hessney, started a women’s apparel business in a small building on South Main Street formerly Mike Delesio’s Barber Shop. With several additions this business has grown, drawing many customers from a wide geographic area.
On the weekend of Feb. 19-21, a blizzard hit the area closing the Thruway both East & West of Manchester. Fire trucks escorted stranded motorists off the road to the school, village hall, and Methodist Church. Emergency canteens were set up to feed the people. Many villagers entertained unexpected overnight guests. About 200 people spent the night here.
Joe and Sam Abbott built the Steakout Restaurant on the southwest corner of Routes 96 and 21.
Westplex was built on land, located on West Avenue, donated by the Manchester Fire Company. John S. Volpe was very instrumental in getting this business to locate in Manchester.
Hawkes Bakery was demolished and replaced with a service station owned by the Atlantic Refining Co. The Village Mart is currently located on this site.
The Railroad Ice House on Lehigh Avenue burned. It had not been used for many years but before automatic refrigeration it was a vital necessity for shipping fresh produce on the railroad. Ice was harvested from the outlet and stored here.
Water meters were installed in village homes.
Joe and Sam Abbott built a new, modern 40 unit motel on the north-east corner of Routes 96 and 21. this is now the Friendship Inn.
Rytown Millwork, Inc. was started by Donald Ryan & James Townsend in the former Manchester Foods building.