The village has the honor of being the oldest settlement in the Town of Manchester. The first settlers arrived in 1793 and the first deed was issued to Joel Gillet on June 23, 1796. He built the first log home, just west of the village cemetery. The other early settlers were Stephen Phelps, Joel Jared, Ambrose Phelps and Deacon John McLouth.
The last wolf killed in the town was shot by Joseph Burney and Christopher Brady in a hunt with a large number of men and boys in 1818. Wolves had troubled settlers since the first days. They were despised by the Indians because of all the deer they killed. At one time, there was a $20.00 bounty on wolves in the Town of Farmington.
The town of Farmington was divided in half on March 21, 1821. The new Eastern town was named Burt, after a member of the Legislature that had sponsored the bill. This name was not liked by town residents and on April 16, 1822, it was changed to Manchester.
The 1890’s saw changes come to the hamlet of Manchester, after 80 years as a small quiet mill town. The arrival of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and the choice of Manchester as a division point with a round house, ice house and rail yard, put additional pressure on the residents.
On August 16 1892, at the barber shop of John Moore, the vote passed 71 to 0 for incorporation. Dr. John R. Pratt, became the President of the Village and William Wilson, Walter Mason and Levi Redfield were the Trustees. Village improvements were started and by 1893 sidewalks were complete on Main and State Streets.
Video of Manchester Roundhouse