Village Justice, Joe Volpe heard a record 808 cases: 770 traffic/vehicle; 27 criminal and 11 civil.
Shine’s Cleaners was opened on Main Street by John Mitzewich. They operated until 1988. The business was run by Monty (Shine) Cianfoni.
The village population at this time was 1305.
July 1, – Yard jobs in Manchester were eliminated. The last yard engine went on duty at 11:59 PM, June 30, with a crew of five. Engineer was Barney Deal, Fireman was Jake Hessney, Fred “Soot” Record was yard conductor, Earl Robinson and Joe Barry were yard brakemen. After that all trains in Manchester were through trains with crews still being changed here until 1972.
Friendly Village, a mobile home park for senior citizens, was opened. The 1976 Woodall Guide rated Friendly Village “The highest rated mobile home park in New York State”.
Voters approved a bond issue to build a new combined Village Hall and Fire Station on Clifton Street.
Boardman’s Ice Cream Store closed after 26 years.
Francesco (Gino) Liberty was Mayor from 1972-1981. He worked with Shortsville to propose a joint sewer project for the two villages.
Bud’s Polar Bar was opened in Bliss Plaza and later moved to Shortsville.
Leo Hessney”s general store burned. This store was opened by Abbott Hessney in 1901 and operated continuously for 73 years. This location is now the village parking lot.
A grant for $35,000 was obtained to develop a family park across from Westplex. It contains play ground equipment for all ages, horse shoe pits, tennis and basketball courts, and playing areas. A summer recreation program for village children is now held at this park.
Finger Lakes Wildwater Derby was started by Tim Record and the Twin Cities Jaycees.
The end of the Lehigh Valley Railroad took place at midnight April 1, 1976. The last two Lehigh trains passed through the village on the evening of March 31. The last West bound train, with Engineer Pat Pettrone of Manchester, passed through at 8 PM. The last train through Manchester was an East bound train passing through at 11 PM, with George Dressler, Engineer and Fred “Soot” Record of Manchester as Road Fireman. Deferring to his local roots, Fireman Record was allowed to operate the last Lehigh Valley train Manchester. Conrail was formed to organize and revitalize the bankrupt rail line. Tippy Tyler’s building on the west side of North Main Street burned. This building has been occupied by Ryan’s Hardware, Gersbach’s Appliance Store, Claudia’s Dress Shop, TV Repair and a restaurant.
The Manchester School building closed with the completion of the Red Jacket Elementary School on the Route 21 campus behind the high school.
The Upstate Milk Cooperation purchased the Dairy Center of the Finger Lakes and began operations in the former Record Dairy.
The village population increased to 1640.
Ike George’s Confectionery store was closed after many years of serving the residents in the community. The Double E Restaurant was started in November by Eugene & Eloise Lester in the same location.
The A.M. Bennett Memorial Building was built on land donated by former Scoutmaster George Record. Located across from the Village Hall, this building currently provides meeting space for the Boy Scouts and storage for the Manchester Health Center.
Phil D’Arduini was elected Mayor of Manchester. His father, Bernard D’Arduini arrived here in 1911 at age 14. His cousin, Orazio Pizzicarlo, age 11 came with him from Italy. They both worked for the LVRR. A. B. Cowles of Victor, a printing company, purchased 13 acres of land on North Main Street including the former Manchester school building. They use this building as a printing shop.
The joint sewer plant began operation east of the village on route 96.
The Manchester Tree Commission was formed and a Village Tree ordinance written. Arbor Day was celebrated by planting a tree in front of the Village Hall.
The village was recognized by the National Arbor Day Foundation as a “Tree City USA.”
The Manchester Village Post office was destroyed by fire. The Shortsville Post Office helped out until a temporary trailer was installed.
The construction of a new water tower for the village started on Lehigh Avenue. The cost was estimated at $720,000 with the capacity of holding 500,000 gallons of water.
Johnnies’ Restaurant opened in the former Lester Coffee Shop. It is now Edward’s Family Restaurant.
The village was divided while a new bridge was built over the Canandaigua outlet on Clifton Street. Freezing rains crippled the area. Many residents in the village lost power for several days. Basements were flooded, trees were torn out by the roots, and power lines snapped from the weight of the ice. Village crews and the fire department, as well as all utility companies, worked day and night to overcome this crisis.
Manchester is now primarily a residential area, with some light industry. New residents move here to find moderate priced housing in a pleasant setting. Families are close and neighbors help each other in time of need. Each family admires and respects their ethnic background, but the cultures have blended to produce enthusiastic Americans.